*The following is excerpted from an online article from Beloit College.
Born in 2000, the first year of the new millennium, for this year’s entering college class of 2022, human beings have always been living — not just traveling — in space. The United States has always been in Afghanistan. Same-sex marriage has always been legal somewhere and the once revolutionary “You’ve got mail” is almost forgotten.
Since 1998, the annual Mindset List has circulated internationally as a way of reminding professors everywhere that they aren’t just teaching courses, they’re also teaching students. The list has generated several books, prompted international discussions and lists and scores of speaking appearances around the country.
“All good things must come to a conclusion,” notes the Mindset List’s creator Ron Nief, Public affairs director emeritus at Beloit College. This will be the last year that the Mindset List will be associated with Beloit College, but it will continue in the future at themindsetlist.com or at a new institutional home. “We have enjoyed our 20 plus years of association with Beloit College, where the List began,” said Ron Nief.
The Beloit College Mindset List is created by Ron Nief, Director Emeritus of Beloit College Public Affairs; Tom McBride, Professor Emeritus of English; and Charles Westerberg, Brannon-Ballard Professor of Sociology. Additional items on the list as well as commentaries and guides are found on this site and at www.themindsetlist.com. Regular updates and discussions are on Facebook and Twitter.
Among the iconic figures never alive in their lifetime are Victor Borge, Charles Schulz, and the original Obi-Wan Kenobi Alec Guinness.
Some highlights from the list for the Class of 2022:
3. They have always been able to refer to Wikipedia.
4. They have grown up afraid that a shooting could happen at their school, too.
10. When filling out forms, they are not surprised to find more than two gender categories to choose from.
12. Parents have always been watching Big Brother, and vice versa.
14. They've grown up with stories about where their grandparents were on 11/22/63 and where their parents were on 9/11.
26. Mifepristone or RU-486, commonly called the "abortion pill," has always been available in the U.S.
20. The Prius has always been on the road in the U.S.
27. A visit to a bank has been a rare event.
34. Starbucks has always served venti Caffe Lattes in Beijing's Forbidden City.
42. Mass market books have always been available exclusively as Ebooks.
43. Oprahhas always been a magazine.
55. Films have always been distributed on the Internet.
To view the entire list of 60 items, click here.
Source: Beloit College
Copyright© 2018 Beloit College
Mindset List is a registered trademark