The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating nearly two dozen cases of alleged criminal sexual misconduct involving many in the entertainment industry.
A senior department official with the police told NBC News that the cases include many people who are known publicly and others who have yet to be identified.
Allegations in those cases range from misdemeanor sexual battery to felony rape. Police say the number of investigations will rise as more people come forward.
The investigation is the latest move after complaints have created a growing list of Hollywood stars and employees who have been accused of sexual misconduct.
Film producer Harvey Weinstein faces more than 85 complaints of sexual misconduct and a rape allegation that New York police have said is “credible.”
"We have an actual case here," NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told reporters earlier this month.
Meanwhile, Weinstein’s representatives have said previously that those allegations of non-consensual sex are untrue.
Oscar-winner Kevin Spacey has also been accused of sexual misconduct. Netflix dropped the actor and suspended production of the sixth season of “House of Cards.”
Spacey’s representative said he is “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment.”
Los Angeles County prosecutors have also responded to the uptick in sexual assault complaints and launched a task force of veteran sex crimes prosecutors to handle criminal charges stemming from the police’s investigation.
Photo courtesy: Unsplash/Christian Newman
Publication date: November 20, 2017