The Islamic State in Libya has kidnapped three Christians. Bekhit Nageh Efrak Ebeid, Sekyere Kofi Frimpong and Aedola Ibrahim were taken by ISIS in Noufliyah. It’s unknown where the men are being held, Christian Today reports.
ISIS released pictures of the men’s passport photos.
Libyan military spokesman, Mohamed El Hejazi, confirmed that the three men, from Egypt, Nigeria and Ghana, were abducted.
Reportedly, ISIS abducted 86 Eritrean Christians in Libya last month. The kidnappings come after Egypt launched airstrikes into Libya after ISIS militants beheaded 21 Coptic Christians.
"Christian people, especially from Eritrea and Ethiopia, are discriminated against in Libya because of the religion issue," said Eritrean Catholic Priest Father Mussie Zerai.
"It's not the first time, it's not new — discrimination or bad treatment, all these things,” he added. “But it's the first time they are targeted in this way. They are killed by ISIS because they are Christian. This is the first time."
In response, church officials have asked the UK government to welcome Christians who are fleeing from the Islamic State. The Barnabas Fund is working with the Safe Havens project to help those Christians.
Earlier this month, Pope Francis said the conflict for Christians in the Middle East was a “third world war.”
“Today we are dismayed to see how in the Middle East and elsewhere in the world many of our brothers and sisters are persecuted, tortured and killed for their faith in Jesus,” Pope Francis said.
“In this third world war, waged piecemeal, which we are now experiencing, a form of genocide is taking place, and it must end,” he added.
Publication date: July 20, 2015
Amanda Casanova is a writer living in Dallas, Texas. She has covered news for ChristianHeadlines.com since 2014. She has also contributed to The Houston Chronicle, U.S. News and World Report and IBelieve.com. She blogs at The Migraine Runner.