More than 80 civilians have been killed as Syrian forces try to take the last rebel holdouts in Aleppo this week.
The U.N.’s human rights office said 82 civilians have been killed, including 11 women and 13 children.
Spokesman Rupert Colville said pro-government soldiers are killing civilians “on the spot.”
But U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said is he shocked over the reports of the “atrocities” against the civilians and said that the U.N. hasn’t been able to confirm those reports.
The International Committee of the Red Cross has asked that soldiers spare civilian lives in Aleppo, saying the people “have literally nowhere safe to run.”
“In order for this to happen, we appeal to the parties to put humanity ahead of military objectives”, said ICRC’s head of delegation in Syria, Marianne Gasser, who is currently in Aleppo. “We stand ready to oversee the implementation of any mutual agreement that puts civilians first. We cannot urge this strongly enough: this must happen.”
Turkey’s Deputy Prime Minister called for a cease-fire, and asked for the international community to put together an international aid convoy for civilians in Aleppo.
The French president also asked Russia to manage humanitarian aid for civilians trapped in Aleppo.
The Syrian military says it now commands 99 percent of the former rebel stronghold of Aleppo. They had previously held parts of the city for about four years.
Publication date: December 13, 2016
Amanda Casanova is a writer living in Dallas, Texas. She has covered news for ChristianHeadlines.com since 2014. She has also contributed to The Houston Chronicle, U.S. News and World Report and IBelieve.com. She blogs at The Migraine Runner.