8 Things You Should Know about Gay Marriage
Dr. Roger Barrier | Preach It, Teach It
Editor's Note: Pastor Roger Barrier's "Ask Roger" column regularly appears at Preach It, Teach It. Every week at Crosswalk, Dr. Barrier puts nearly 40 years of experience in the pastorate to work answering questions of doctrine or practice for laypeople, or giving advice on church leadership issues. Email him your questions at [email protected]
What do you think about gay marriage? I’d like your take on the issue.
Dear The Many Who Have Asked Me About Gay Marriage,
First, let me say that my wife Julie and I disagree about some of the things that I intend to share. That’s okay. There are many ways to look at this issue. She thinks one way; I think another way; and we both think we’re right.
These are the eight perspectives from which I look at this important, charged topic.
Photo courtesy: ©Thinstock/stevanovicigor
1. Jesus Never Wavered from His Top Priority
“I came to seek and to save those who were lost.”
“The good shepherd loves his sheep and gives up his life for them.”
“The good shepherd leaves behind his 99 lambs in order to search for one that was lost.”
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
We must remember that winning gay couples to Christ is more important to Jesus than whether or not the law of any land allows them to marry.
Photo courtesy: ©Thinkstockphotos.com
2. JESUS NEVER ALLOWED CURRENT-DAY POLITICAL ISSUES TO DISTRACT HIM FROM HIS MAIN MISSION
3. JESUS CONDEMNED THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS FOR JUDGMENTAL ATTITUDES WHILE MANIFESTING LOVE AND COMPASSION TO THOSE IN SIN
4. IT’S TIME TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SOME MEDICAL DATA - GENETICS, RESEARCH, AND ANATOMY - SUGGEST THE NATURAL VULNERABILITY OF SOME TO HOMOSEXUAL BEHAVIOR
5. FIGHTING AMONGST OURSELVES CERTAINLY DOESN’T HELP
6. Love Attracts
7. STILL, NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE TALK ABOUT LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE, GOD'S WRATH COMES STRONGLY INTO PLAY
8. "Who Left the Barn Door Open?"