A global day of prayer is being called for on Tuesday, March 3, to ask God to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
CBN News reported on March 1 that the day of prayer will bring together – via the Internet and by phone – “a coalition of Christians across denominational lines ... to pray for an end to the coronavirus.”
The event, CBN reported, was initiated by Christian author Cindy Jacobs of Generals International, who said she “received word from God” calling for prayer, and a subsequent message from the Holy Spirit directing that the effort be “a global gathering.”
The report says that Jacobs told CBN, "After seeking wisdom and prophetic counsel from prophets across the nation and world, we believe strongly that since this is a worldwide issue, it's going to take the whole Church to cry out together for the mercy and healing power of God to contain it."
A global conference call and webcast are scheduled to begin Tuesday, March 3, at 11 a.m. Eastern Time U.S. You can connect via phone or online:
- Call (712)-775-7430 or (712) 775-7431 and use access code 2452#.
- To join the webcast on YouTube click here.
The effort’s inter-denominational leaders have adopted 2 Chronicles 7:14 as a verse to center on for the day:
"If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Leaders have also encouraged participants to fast as they pray for God to halt the spread of coronavirus and to heal those directly infected, and also to comfort and aid those indirectly affected by its consequences.
Leaders also recommend prayers, intercessions and petitions such as:
- As you pray for your families and nations, center your intercession around the promise of Psalm 91: "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."
- Petition the Lord to shield us from fear, and that we might invoke the reality of 2 Timothy 1:7: "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
- As you intercede for our civil officials, health care professionals and law enforcement and emergency personnel, pray that they may lead with wisdom, work skillfully and be protected from the spread of the virus.
- Pray that your fellow Christians will serve boldly and will courageously share the Word effectively as they encounter those with physical and spiritual needs during this time of crisis.
Photo courtesy: ©Getty Images/Rawpixel
Tim Tune is a freelance journalist based in Fort Worth, Texas. His work has been published by Baptist Press, as well as the Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Business Press, Arlington Today magazine and other North Texas publications.