A Way of Transformation for the TG Person
(This assumes you are working with someone who has repented of sin, believed in & surrendered his or her life to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.)
Believers in Jesus Christ should be on the front lines of reaching out with the love of Christ and the answers that He has provided in His Word.
1. Address any childhood sexual abuse or other trauma that may have confused the child’s sense of identity, being and/or sexuality.
2. Correct gender-based misinformation by parents, significant others and/or the culture (as well as any other lies of the enemy that they may have believed).
Parents or other family members may have wanted their child to be the opposite sex and either communicated that to him/her outright or more subtly in the ways they gave or withheld affirmation & acceptance when he/she acted like a boy/girl.
3. Pray for inner healing for any father-wounds and mother-wounds. Teach them how to be intimate with God the Father as a replacement for a male-hating mother or a female hating father.
4. Deal with any “sins of the father” that may have been passed down (Ex 20:5-6; 34:7; Lev 26:39; Num 14:18; Dt 7:9; Ez 18:14-20) / Generational Curses / Anger at God / Roots of Bitterness & Rejection / Inner Vows / Unforgiveness / Occultic Activity, etc.
5. Pray for peer humiliation that they may have experienced, (especially related to a rejection of gender), to be reversed by the acceptance of Christ & His Body, the Church.
6. Pray to renounce the rejection of their biological sex and/or the self-hatred that it induced.
7. Pray with them to accept their biological gender.
8. Repent of any use of pornography and masturbation and the core sin behind such behaviors – idolatry.
9. Pray for revelation of and deliverance from any hidden demonic strongholds.
10. Pray for any yet undiscovered biological contributors (-e.g., hormones, brain chemistry, etc.) to be healed.
11. Pray for being washed (Ephesians 5:26; 1 Corinthians 6:11) and having the mind renewed (Romans 12:2) with the Word of God.
12. Pray with them for God to overturn any contributing cultural factors.
If they grew up lonely and unaffirmed, yet were accepted and celebrated by the trans community, (not having understood that their acceptance had more to do with their youth and beauty than anything else), pray that they learn to receive that needed acceptance and affirmation from God instead of man.
Help them to separate themselves from damaging relationships, (friends, music, media, etc.), and to turn their attention to God’s Word and serving Him.
Help them find a church, ministry & other teaching resources that can guide them in the lifelong process of transformation, such as………
Dr. Neil Whitehead’s website
Dr. Robert Gagnon’s website
Thinking Biblically About Transgenderism
Powerful video testimonies by
Walter Heyer – Pt 1- Pt 2
Kathy Grace Duncan – Pt 1- Pt 2
God and the Transgender Debate by Andrew Walker
Transgender by Vaughan Roberts
Transgender Confusion by Denise Shick
Transformation: A Former Transgender Responds to LGBT Issues by Linda Seiler
* * * *
Dr. David Kyle Foster (M-Div, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School; D-Min, Trinity School for Ministry) is the author of Transformed Into His Image and Love Hunger and is the founder/director of Pure Passion Media (www.PurePassion.us).
Read more of his take on sexual sin and brokenness in his newest book,
The Sexual Healing Reference Edition.
Photo courtesy: Unsplash