The White House says the Syrian regime could be making “potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack.”
The White House also told Syria’s president, Bashar al-Assad, that if another attack happens, he would face a “heavy price.”
"The United States has identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children," according to a White House statement released Monday night.
"The activities are similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017 chemical weapons attack," the statement added. "As we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price."
According to CNN, the Kremlin told the media outlet: “We strongly condemn the use of chemical weapons. We consider it unacceptable.”
The United States and Russia are supporting Syria in its war, but the United States criticized Assad’s forces in April when a chemical attack was launched. Assad, however, said allegations of the chemical attack were “100% fabrication.”
The April 4 airstrike on the town of Khan Sheikhoun resulted in the death of 89 people. International chemical weapons inspectors found what they called “incontrovertible” evidence that Sarin gas, or something similar, was used. Syria, however, said terrorists were responsible for the attack.
Photo courtesy: ©Thinkstock/the_guitar_mann
Publication date: June 27, 2017
Amanda Casanova is a writer living in Dallas, Texas. She has covered news for ChristianHeadlines.com since 2014. She has also contributed to The Houston Chronicle, U.S. News and World Report and IBelieve.com. She blogs at The Migraine Runner.