The Trump administration is preparing to roll out a new travel ban order, with certain revised aspects, after the previous order was struck down by a federal appeals court.
According to CNN.com, the new order is slated to be released as early as this week and has been updated and revised to reflect the legal issues that the administration ran into regarding the initial travel ban.
"The President is contemplating releasing a tighter, more streamlined version of the first executive order," stated Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly.
The previous travel ban was struck down by the 9th Circuit federal appeals court for infringing on traveler’s rights.
The original order banned immigrants from seven predominantly Muslim countries--Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen--for 90 days, and also banned all refugees for 120 days, according to CNN.
The language in the new order is being clarified to say that it will not affect green card holders and will also likely revise the section that allowed for special priority to be given to immigrants who were facing religious persecution.
"The new order is going to be very much tailored to what I consider to be a very bad decision," said President Trump, referring to the decision by the 9th Circuit Court.
Opponents of the travel ban say the revised order will still contain possible violations. Some lawmakers also oppose the ban because the legislative branch was not consulted before it was issued.
"You have an extreme vetting proposal that didn't get the vetting it should have had," Republican Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio told CNN's Jake Tapper on Sunday's "State of the Union" last month. "As the result, in the implementation, we've seen some problems."
Photo courtesy: Flickr.com
Publication date: February 21, 2017