One Oregon church has very particular guidelines for their worship leaders, including the implication that they cannot be overweight.
According to Charisma News, New Creation Church in Hillsboro, Oregon has a list of detailed guidelines for their worship leaders.
The guidelines include the following:
- Hair must be washed, nicely groomed and kept neat and clean; no sloppy hairdos or excessively wild styles that draw undue attention.
- No excessive piercings, or visible tattoos.
- Ladies, put your make-up on before you get to church.
- If wearing a skirt, nylons are suggested. No tight shirts, low cut shirts or tummies showing. All skirts must be below the knee.
- No excessive colognes or perfumes.
- Bodies must be clean and use of effective deodorant is essential to positive interpersonal relationships.
- Remember also that breath mints are available in the bookstore. Please use them! No gum during services.
The guidelines also contain this statement: "Weight is something that many people have to deal with. Make sure that you are taking care of your temple, exercising and eating properly."
New Creation’s pastor, Rebecca Sundholm, doesn’t believe the guidelines pose any problems.
"What's funny is this has nothing to do with anybody else but our church. If anybody looked at our worship team, they would see they aren't all skinny,” she said.
Publication date: October 11, 2016