Carrie Dedrick | Editor, ChristianHeadlines.com | Thursday, July 31, 2014
A new poll claims that one in 200 churchgoers are involved in a homosexual relationship.
According to the study, 0.6 percent of respondents indicated that they were involved in a relationship with a person of the same sex. The number of respondents who answered that they were living with their partner was slightly smaller.
In response to this statistic, Ruth Gledhill for Christian Today wrote, “Although statistically small, given the size of the survey, the number is high considering the widespread hostility to homosexual relationships among the leadership of many Christian churches.”
Other findings from the study include the following:
- 60 percent of respondents indicated that they were married
- 5.8 percent answered that they were divorced
- 6.5 percent said they were remarried following a divorce
- Two-thirds of respondents said that Christians should not cohabitate before marriage
- About two-thirds said that Christians should marry other people of faith
- Over two-thirds believed that physical desire did not have to lead to sex
- About 70 percent believed that their spouse or significant other had been planned by God
They survey was conducted by Christian Research for Christian Today. 1,401 practicing Christians over the age of 16 were polled online.
Publication date: July 31, 2014