30 Ohio churchgoers were affected by botulism after they ate a contaminated potato salad at a church potluck.
In April, someone brought a contaminated potato salad to a potluck at Cross Pointe Freewill Baptist Church in Lancaster, Ohio. Of the 30 people who showed symptoms of botulism, 21 were hospitalized and one died, according to ABC News. One person remains hospitalized with complications from pneumonia.
Debbie Wright, a churchgoer at Cross Pointe who came down with symptoms stated, “You could just feel your body deteriorate, but I didn’t know what was going on.” Wright got up that morning feeling unusual, but went to work anyway.
“Then I had a message on my answering machine from Pastor Bill’s wife that said if you experience this, this, this or this, get to the emergency room,” Wright continued.
Wright was hospitalized, but is mostly recovered now. “I still have problems with my breathing and my swallowing. And sometimes my brain, all the neurons don’t fire exactly right. But I’m 100 percent better. I thank the good Lord that he helped me to get better. It was a very scary thing, but I am on the other side of it,” Wright stated.
Wright said that neither she nor any other Cross Pointe members who were affected by botulism blame the church or the person who made the potato salad for their illness because they understand it was an accident.
Photo courtesy: flickr.com
Publication date: August 14, 2015