Nigeria: Boko Haram Attack Leaves at Least 200 Dead

Carrie Dedrick | Editor, ChristianHeadlines.com | Monday, January 26, 2015

Nigeria: Boko Haram Attack Leaves at Least 200 Dead


Boko Haram militants have attacked another Nigerian city, leaving heavy casualties in their wake. The terrorist group stormed the city of Maiduguri Sunday (Jan. 25), leaving at least 200 people dead. 

 

The terrorist group also invaded the city of Monguno earlier in the day. 

 

BBC reports that the attack on Maiduguri was concentrated around the barracks as militants; Nigerian troops were able to slow the Boko Haram’s progress, but not stop the group entirely. 

 

One Nigerian soldier reportedly said, "Our soldiers initially repelled the terrorists but they mobilized more fighters and came back in full force. They overwhelmed our troops and forced them to retreat.”

 

The attack on Maiduguri occurred while Secretary of State John Kerry was in the region for a meeting with Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan. Kerry said that the United States would be willing to help Nigeria as its citizens remain constantly at risk of Boko Haram violence, but the U.S. expected Nigeria’s upcoming presidential election to be peaceful in return. 

 

“We are prepared to do more [to counter the Boko Haram threat] but our ability to do more will depend to some degree on the full measure of credibility, accountability, transparency and peacefulness of this election,” Kerry said. 


 

Publication date: January 26, 2015

Comments