ISIS Claims Responsibility for Tunisia Museum Murders

Amanda Casanova | Religion Today Contributing Writer | Friday, March 20, 2015

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Tunisia Museum Murders


Tunisia announced this week that it would deploy the army to large cities after 20 foreign tourists were killed during a museum attack.

 

Three Tunisians and Japanese, Italian and Spanish tourists were killed during the attack on tourist buses that were visiting the Bardo museum on Wednesday.

 

Cruise liner MSC Cruises said 12 of its passengers were among those shot and killed during the attack. Christian Today reports one Spanish couple was found alive after they spent the night hiding in the museum.

 

"They were hidden this whole time, without daring to make a phone call, probably because they were anxious and scared, as you can imagine," Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo said.

 

Two gunmen, both Tunisians, were also killed by security. The Tunisian government said the two gunmen were trained at a Libyan jihadist camp. They had been recruited at Tunisian mosques. Their names were Hatem al-Khashnawi and Yassin al-Abidi.

 

The Islamic State released an audio recording calling the gunmen “knights of the Islamic State.”

 

"We tell the apostates who sit on the chest of Muslim Tunisia: Wait for the glad tidings of what will harm you, o impure ones, for what you have seen today is the first drop of the rain," the Islamic State audio said.

 

 

Publication date: March 20, 2015

Comments