About 2,500 people in Southern California have been left stranded from mudslides that ravaged the region on Sunday. One person found in a flooded creek has been confirmed dead; authorities said the victim’s car had been swept up by flood waters.
The mudslides were a result of severe thunderstorms that had hit the area.
The area of most concern is a campground in Forest Falls where 500 adults and children had been staying. People’s vehicles and campers were swept away by the mudslides, leaving them stranded at the site.
San Bernardino County Fire spokesman Kyle Hauducoeur said, “Our concern is that they're isolated at that campground and no longer have access out of the mountain.”
ABC News reports that the mudslides were up to 15 feet high and 75 feet wide.
One home was destroyed in the mudslides; rescue workers managed to evacuate the resident safely.
“This is the worst we’ve had since at least 1969,” said California resident Michael Scully.
Rescue workers continue to clear the roads for the safety of residents. Burney Fire Department Chief Ray Barber said, “I have a lot of confidence in our brothers and sisters that we’ll all come out of this okay.”
Publication date: August 4, 2014