Thousands who were displaced by Boko Haram militants are returning home and could face food shortages.
According to reports, some trade has restarted in the area, but reconstruction has been slow in other areas hit by militant takeovers.
Last year, the group Boko Haram managed to take over much of Nigeria’s northeast and killed thousands, but the Nigerian army has been able to push the militants back.
"Most people coming back are in hardship because there's no food. People are sick but there are no hospitals ... no vegetables, no lemons, no bananas ... We're not ready to go back to farming. All our machinery was burned or taken," a Christian community leader, Sini T-Kwagga, told Reuters.
For now, people can drive to Mubi for goods until the rainy season closes off that route.
Boko Haram also destroyed many bridges in the attacks.
Much of the area is spotted with abandoned tanks and cars and other military equipment, including landmines.
"We have to stay, we have nowhere to live, no money for rent. We are afraid to farm ... about a week ago a bomb exploded when people went to clear the land. They were hurt," Rebecca Ishaya said.
Publication date: May 11, 2015