Boko Haram militants attacked the Nigerian town of Chibok on Wednesday (Jan. 27), killing at least 16 people. The Christian Post reports that six suicide bombers carried out the attack at a weekly vegetable market.
The dead include 15 civilians and one soldier, though the death toll may rise.
Town elder Ayuba Chibok said, "The situation is now tense and there's so much confusion. It will take some time before we can be able to have a clearer picture of the casualties.”
Dr. Idrissa Danladi said Chibok’s hospital is overwhelmed after the attack. A number of people are fighting for their lives and the hospital has a shortage of blood.
Chibok is the town from which over 200 Christian schoolgirls were kidnapped in April 2014. Most of the girls have not returned home.
Earlier this month Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari launched an investigation of the kidnapping.
He said, "I assure you that I go to bed and wake up every day with the Chibok girls on my mind. Securing the Chibok girls is my responsibility. The service chiefs and heads of our security agencies will tell you that in spite of the dire financial straits that we found the country in, I continue to do my best to support their efforts in that regard.”
Publication date: January 28, 2016