Boko Haram Releases Video of Kidnapped Girls on Second Anniversary of Abduction

Carrie Dedrick | Editor, ChristianHeadlines.com | Thursday, April 14, 2016
Boko Haram Releases Video of Kidnapped Girls on Second Anniversary of Abduction

Boko Haram Releases Video of Kidnapped Girls on Second Anniversary of Abduction


Thursday (April 14) marked two years since Boko Haram terrorists kidnapped 276 girls from a school in Chibok, Nigeria. On the anniversary of the abduction, Boko Haram released a video showing 15 of the schoolgirls who remain in captivity. It is the first time the girls have been seen since the terrorist group released a video in May 2014. 

 

Christian Today reports 219 girls are believed to remain in captivity. 

 

Some of the girls shown in the latest video were identified by their parents. 

 

Yana Galang, one of the mothers of the kidnapped girls, recognized five girls in the video. She said, "They were definitely our daughters... all we want is for the government to bring back our girls.”

 

The girls appeared to be healthy in the video, but spoke into the camera, saying that they wanted to return home to their families. They also appealed to the Nigerian government to secure their freedom. 

 

Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari vowed to fight Boko Haram and bring the girls home when he was elected last year. However, he has made little progress against the terrorist group. 

 

UN Special Envoy for Global Education Gordon Brown said, "Their parents still wake up each morning not knowing whether their daughters are alive or dead, married or single or violated as slaves. They deserve better."

 

 

Publication date: April 14, 2016

Comments