The Nigerian government has decided to delay the scheduled presidential and legislative elections for the nation due to the threat of Boko Haram violence on the northeastern city of Maiduguri.
Christian Today reports that the elections, originally scheduled to take place Feb. 14 will be postponed for six weeks as the government takes measures to secure the city, which has been surrounded by militants for weeks.
Nigerian politician Bashir Yusuf said that the military would be "unable to provide adequate security for the elections" if the elections took place as scheduled. Another unidentified government official said that millions of citizens in and around Maiduguri may have been unable to vote due to to threat of Boko Haram.
The terrorist group has already launched three attacks on Maiduguri in attempts to take over the city. So far, the group has been unsuccessful with the attempts to capture Maiduguri from government control.
Publication date: February 11, 2015